Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Being a good sportsmanship!

"He is running down the court ready to make a shot into the basket.  His team is helping him by blocking the opposing team, so they can win the game.  Will he be able to make it in less than 10 seconds on the clock?"
Once when I was in high school I played a bit of church basketball, with friends close to my age at church.  I would come in my yellow jogging wear.  I was ready to play basketball, even though it was not my favorite sport to play but, I realize that being part of the team that I would help my team win!

Due to the nature of me wearing all yellow every time, I got the nickname, "Sunshine".  I would try to participate in all that I can do for the team. 

Now the way it was played out then would not have been possible for TV or school viewers.  By what I mean is that I was given a handicap, sort a speak, when I had the basketball. 

  • The opposing team would let me shoot 3 times in the basket.  If it went in the first time, great! If I didn't then I would get two more tries. 
  • The crowd on both teams wouldn't give any negative or harsh remarks for what they were doing! They went along with it. 
  • My team was a great help.
The coach was the president of Young Men (12-19 years of age) and when it looked like I could use a time at the hoop of shooting a basket he would let my team know and the opposing team would get the hint and let me try to shoot some baskets.

When it got close to the end of the season of playing basketball, I did a great and amazing job at throwing the basketball into the basket. 

  • The coach yelled to my team, "Make a sun for sunshine".
  • My team would circle me like a sun down on one end of the court to the other end of the court.  Making it hard for anyone on the opposing team to force the ball out of my hand.
  • The score was close to being almost tied.
  • The opposing team was also on the deal of letting me dribble the ball down the court all the way to the other end.
  • As soon as I was within range of shooting the basketball into the basket, I did so and by doing so, I made my team win the game!
  • For making my team win, the next day during church services I was given a certificate "Most Valuable Player" with my coach teams signature on it.  For it was my deal of winning the game and I earned it.
If it was another type of environment, I don't think the opposing team or the crowd would have let this happen.   It just shows that showing good sportsmanship goes a long way and I'm glad that everyone wither it be the team players, the crowd, referees, and opposing team that it was possible for me to enjoy playing the game. 

Showing bad sportsmanship is not good for yourself or anyone else.  It just shows that you are selfish, rude, inconsiderate, mean,etc.  It hurts your self image as a person and everyone you interact with.  It is sad when fights break out due to bad sportsmanship. 

We don't need to fall into being bad sportsmanship.  Let us show the example the way to be around us, even if we don't agree on the call of the referee.  If it gets to much then get up and leave the game and let everyone else enjoy the game.


"He shoots and scores and his team wins the game, 20-18!" The crowd goes wild and everyone is happy for him regardless of what team he is on!

No comments: