Monday, December 12, 2011

A few thoughts from CHRISTMAS CAROL.

On a side note I did do a posting about "Christmas Carol" posted on September 28, 2010 and "Its a Wonderful Life" on July 30, 2010. 

Jennie and I went to watch a play version of Christmas Carol being done at Centerpoint Theatre.  As I was watching it I was thinking of what Ebenezer Scrooge said at the beginning:
"What else can I be, when I live in such a world of fools as this? Merry Christmas! Out upon merry Christmas! What's Christmas time to you but a time for paying bills without money; a time for finding yourself a year older, but not an hour richer; a time for balancing your books and having every item in `em through a round dozen of months presented dead against you? If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with "Merry Christmas" on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

Hopefully we are more of what Fred would say and less than what Ebenezer Scrooge said.
"There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say, Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"
Do we find ourselves saying this at times.  Just thinking of ourselves and not others? Or should we be more like what Fred says:

No comments: