Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Halloween Special DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN "THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW!

Since Halloween is not a major holiday to take off from work or school, I figure since it’s the spirit of the holiday I figured what the heck.
Taken from Wikipedia: The Summary of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow:
The story is set circa 1790 in the Dutch settlement of Tarry Town, in a secluded glen called Sleepy Hollow. It tells the story of Ichabod Crane, a sycophantic, lean, lanky, and extremely superstitious schoolmaster from Connecticut, who competes with Abraham "Brom Bones" Van Brunt, the town rowdy, for the hand of 18-year-old Katrina Van Tassel, the daughter and sole child of a wealthy farmer, Baltus Van Tassel. As Crane leaves a party he attended at the Van Tassel home on an autumn night, he is pursued by the Headless Horseman, who is supposedly the ghost of a Hessian trooper who had his head shot off by a stray cannonball during "some nameless battle" of the American Revolutionary War, and who "rides forth to the scene of battle in nightly quest of his head". Ichabod mysteriously disappears from town, leaving Katrina to marry Brom Bones, who was "to look exceedingly knowing whenever the story of Ichabod was related". Although the nature of the Headless Horseman is left open to interpretation, the story implies that the Horseman was really Brom Bones in disguise.
Even though Halloween is fun and games, sometimes people take evil a bit too far.
Once I was in Boy Scouts at a camping trip and there is this tunnel that is a long tunnel to drive through and has no lights in it at all and is surrounding by the forest.  One of the assistant scout masters thought it would be nice to play a trick on us younger Boy Scouts.  So the older scouts went off to the tunnel to set up for their scary trick.  Once it was ok the scout master took us younger scouts to the tunnel.  We went in through the tunnel one at a time through one end and out the other end.  It was my turn to venture through the tunnel so I came up to the one end and saw two other scouts on the other end, I shouted for them to wait up they didn't hear me and kept on walking.  Just shortly after entering the tunnel the older scouts who were watching me turned on their flash lights and rattled their chains and I was a bit scared enough to run through the other end of the tunnel.  As soon as I got to the other side of the tunnel I turned around and was positive I saw evil spirits watching me.  They were colorless and no emotion at all.  They were standing in a group watching me; as soon as I saw them I was more scared I was terrified to death! My scoutmaster stopped me from running into the forest and getting lost.  A few seconds later I looked back and the evil spirits I saw were gone.  It took me a while to calm down and had to go through back the tunnel to camp.  There was no other way to go back to camp.  The scoutmaster said he would walk with me to make sure there was no one to hurt or scare me as I was walking back through the tunnel.  The assistant scout master who was in charge of the trick was saying, "I was pretending to be the devil and scare the wits out of everyone, turning on flashlights and rattle chains."  After that terrible and frightening experience I learned that evil spirits are real just as good spirits are real. 
At this holiday have fun and eat lots of candy!

No comments: